Friday, October 30, 2009

Bike of the Day: October 30, 2009


Wow, huh??? What a beaut.

One of the advantages or consequences (depending on your perspective) of owning a truck is that you are often called upon to help with moves, wood splitting, miscellaneous hauling, and general yard work. Every year the Boy Scouts in Maple Valley ask me to help them haul bark for a fundraising project. Last year, late in the afternoon we came to the home of a man that had four (count ‘em “four”) amazing bikes hanging in the garage. One of those bikes was the very work of art you see above. While shoveling I said something like “Wow, what an amazing bike.”

The man, a former special ops soldier, narrowed his eyes, looked at me askance, and asked softly, “You like it?”

Uh . . .

“Well, yeah,” I said. “It’s steel, Reynolds 853 no less.”

He paused. “I’ll sell it to you for $800. You sound like you would take care of it.”

I was floored. I told him that as soon as I had finished with the Boy Scouts I would be back with the bills. I ended up going back only to learn that the bike was too large. Dang. Dang. Dang.

At any rate, here are the specs:

27 speed (which I still believe is better than 30)
2003 Ultegra componentry (my favorite year of Shimano's Ultegra and XT componentry)

1. Ultegra double crankset

2. Ultegra 9-speed shifters

3. Ultegra rear derailleur

Reynolds 853 steel tubing (853 is Reynolds’ highest end tubing)

No comments:

Post a Comment